Saturday, May 28, 2011

R.I.P Gil Scott-Heron


"I may not change the world, but I will guarantee I will spark the mind of someone that will change the world." My favorite quote by Gil Scott-Heron who died this past Friday in a New York Hospital at age 62. He was known as the "Godfather of Rap" which he actually disliked. Others known him as the "black Bob Dylan" but he referred to himself as a bluesologist. One of his most famous songs include The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, a fierce protest poem he set to music in the 70s. His work was often powerfully political, standing up as the voice of black America and addressing issues like racism, poverty, and social injustice. Here's my favorite song, which is in fact a remix done by Nas, "New York is Killing Me" Rest in peace Gil Scott-Heron (April 1st, 1949 - May 27, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment